Saturday, July 30, 2011

Making an Effort

I feel like I need to follow up my ‘If the Shoe Fits’ with a bit more explanation. When I reread that post it sounded very, very negative and made it seem (to me) that I was just sitting in the corner of a room feeling depressed and worthless and only surviving because of a gorgeous pair of heels …

It’s definitely not as simple as that. I guess what I was trying to convey is that inner demons are tough to fight, and sometimes you’ve just got to find something that will help you get through the challenge.

Even if I may not be happy with where I am right now, I do know that I’m taking steps to get to where I want to be. I am moving forward. I am trying … and I do acknowledge that it is an accomplishment to take these steps. I still have occasional frustrating thoughts of ‘What’s the point?! Nothing’s going to change!’ – but they’ve become fleeting moments now instead of constant thoughts. I definitely think that’s progress.

As for that damn mirror – well, even though I haven’t reached my goal, I know that I still have to make an effort. I remember a time when I didn’t care at all, and I think it showed – and of course that made it worse. How am I supposed to feel better about myself and the way I look if I don’t at least try?

I guess this is also part of getting into the right frame of mind to improve your health and getting to know your body. Figuring out what clothes work for your body (and definitely what clothes don’t!); accenting your assets; minimizing your flaws – I guess that’s what everyone wants to do regardless of their body time/body image. It all comes down to taking the time … and making the effort.

1 comment:

  1. I think the mirror image is something that many of us go through. You're not alone in feeling self-conscious. I think many people have parts of their body/areas of their lives that they are self-conscious about. As you said, it's about making the effort to put your best foot forward.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)