Thursday, July 28, 2011

Resting to Reenergize

I had to take today off from the gym though I didn't intend to. First of all, I didn't have my car for the day. Second of all, it seems like I've developed an allergic reaction to the inhaler that my doctor put me on for my bronchitis -- the last two days have not be fun at all! Still, I did use the day to get some PhD work done and to rest/recuperate a bit.

I also took some time to review the exercise guidelines that were mentioned in NROL4W. I'm half way through the program and I just wanted to make sure that I was doing everything properly before increasing both my sets and my weights. One of the things that was stressed upon in the book is getting enough sleep and taking days off between intense weight workout days in order to let your body recover.

I don't know about you, but I often feel quite a bit of anxiety if I miss a day at the gym. I feel like I've totally set myself back and feel guilty for wasting a day. I'd workout even if I was sick or injured - not smart, I know, but you haven't heard the voices in my head! They're louder than any voice of reason.

I have to admit that after following the plan of taking rest days in between my days of weight-lifting, I do feel better. My muscles don't feel as fatigued as before and I'm actually able to perform my exercises in better form. Well, how about that? This time I have the evidence of actually feeling stronger and better after resting to shush my mind and have it accept the time off ... still, taking an unplanned day off (such as today) makes me very anxious. I guess I still have a ways to go ... but I am trying to take it in stride.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny4:35 PM

    If I had shoes like those, I'd be quite happy too!
    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes time and effort to change habits and I think you're doing a great job. You need to rest, sleep, eat properly, and listen to your body. Don't let yourself feel guilty. Everything happens for a reason.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)