Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Salad


I've been experimenting with a few of the recipes from the NROL4W book. I made their Avocado-tuna Salad. It was delicious!! I'm totally hooked on it. It's filling and the flavors work really well together. It takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, and I like that all the ingredients are 'halved' so you can make this salad for 2 people - or just save the other half for the next day.

Avocado-tuna salad
1/2 Hass avocado (3 oz.), peeled and cubed
1/2 small cucumber, peeled and diced
1/2 fresh red tomato, diced
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 6-oz. chunk light tuna in water, drained
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
1 tbsp. minced fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried
1 tbsp. minced fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried

Mix ingredients together in a bowl.

372 calories
25 grams protein
32 grams carbs (14 g fiber)
16 grams fat (2 grams saturated)

Unfortunately I didn't have black beans so I used Cannellini beans instead. It's actually 5calories more, but 3 g less in fat and 1 g less in carbs. I also added a tablespoon of lemon and a pinch of pepper.

I'm not much of a food photographer - but this is what it looked like:



Bon appetit!

5 comments:

  1. That looks delish? What is the NROL4W?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trina! NROL4W stand for New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a book written by Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, and Alwyn Cosgrove. I've been tracking my progress of their workouts through this blog ... Check out the posts starting with the one on July 12th (NROL4W). So far it's going really well - taking some adjustment, but going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny4:45 PM

    That looks amazzzziiinnngg!!!! Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that looks so yummmy!!! If I come over will you make it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..that looks outstanding!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)