Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Earlier vs. Later

Today was another crazy day ... I was at work longer than I had wanted to be. At least it was the last day of student presentations. Although some of them have been good, others have been unbelievably boring. I know that's terrible to say, but it's true ... and the presentations were followed by an excruciating meeting. There is no way I can explain how painful these meetings are ... they just take much longer than they should and they most often cover things that could have just be sent by a memo ... anyway.

I was really tired from last night - another night of just about 4 hours of sleep ... I did not want to go to the gym. I mean, I did want to go to the gym, but at the same time I kept thinking - I'm so tired! I could do with a nap. I decided to head towards the gym and decide when I got to the last traffic light -- turn right at the light and I'm home in 10 minutes; turn left at the light and I'm at the gym within 10 minutes ...

This is a dilemma I've faced several times - workout early or workout later ... I'm usually a morning workout person, and by morning I mean 6 a.m. (which is possible when I teach a 10 a.m. class, but not possible this semester) ... but there are some days when it seems to take a lot more effort. At the same time, I know that once I get started with my day (and especially if I go home after work) there's a risk that I'll get busy doing something at home - or too comfortable!! - and not want to go to the gym ... So, force yourself or not? All that stuff about listening to your body, are there times when you should just tell your body (or mind) to shut up because you know it's interfering with you reaching your goals?

I turned left and drove to the gym.

Even once I got in I was dragging my feet a bit, but that's ok - I knew I was there. I took my time getting changed, organized my locker a bit (procrastination follows me everywhere), and then headed down. I really wanted to continue the NROL4W Phase 2. I've only managed to complete the first round so far ... and I need to get on it if I want to finish within 5 weeks.

15 minutes of warm-up cardio on the cross-trainer (just over 2 km)
Workout A of NROL4W Phase 2 -- increased weights for the front squat push press and split lunge. I also added an extra step for the step ups (now up to 5 with 8kg weights/hand - right leg is definitely stronger than my left leg)
30 minutes of 'cool-down' cardio on the treadmill (just over 3 km)

That was it. I did it. What a relief!

The rest of the day/evening got hectic so I'm glad I got it out of the way because (as has happened several times before) once I get into other things, it's so much harder to make it in to they gym no matter how good my intentions are ...

I know I'm going to face the same dilemma tomorrow - early Combat class or later RPM class ... you'd think I would have learned my lesson by the end of this post EARLY is better than later!! This time, however, it's about the classes. If the classes were back to back I'd be all set ... but of course they're not ... I really need to come up with a proper schedule!



1 comment:

  1. Hi! Well, I usually listen to very energizing music when I exercise--which tends to override any tired feeling I might start out with. Pitbull songs are my current choice! Party Rock Anthem is currently my favorite song on my playlist.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)