Monday, October 3, 2011

Fired Up for Fall - Week 3

Ok, I'm definitely starting to feel better. I managed to get quite a bit of work done and finally got a decent night's rest. I can't wait to get back into the gym on Wednesday. I'd go now, but I don't want to rush it and have a set back. All in good time. There's still lots to be done. I just need to keep a level head and move forward, one step at a time. Anyway.

Here's my Fired Up for Fall entry for this week.



Part I: My motivation picture for this week



Part II: WEEK 3 QUESTIONS

What have you done this week to get to your goals?
Despite my bronchitis and migraines, I've still been working. I've been at my desk every single
day trying to do whatever possible to push ahead.
I haven't managed to go to the gym, but I've been watching what I've been eating. I've dropped one kilo this week, which is good ... but I'm always skeptical of weight loss without exercise. I know for my body type, I need to watch what I eat and make sure I move in order to lose weight. Still, I'm glad that watching my food intake has helped while I've been basically motionless this past week.


What have you done to make yourself feel fabulous?
It's been a crap week - haven't had the time or energy to feel fabulous ... maybe things will look up next week.


Where do you see yourself in five years? What are your goals? Ambitions?
Probably teaching at a university in England somewhere, though if I could have my way I'd be back in New York.
After finishing my PhD I've got to focus on putting out some publications, but my main goal is
to finish this weight loss journey. It's hard to focus about the future at the moment when I'm so caught up in all that's in front of me.


Give us a tip or a fact. About anything, what is something great you've heard that everyone should know?
I'm not a bit fan of lettuce, and one of the main reasons is
because it wilts quickly. However, this summer I learned two things. First of all, use a salad spinner. I used to think that it was just a silly contraption that didn't really work -- I was proven wrong. It does work! After washing lettuce leaves thoroughly, put them through the spinner - it really helps dry up the leaves.

As for making sure the leaves stay crisp. I was told to wash the lettuce leaves thoroughly and then leave them in a deep bowl full of water and a pinch of salt -- not only will it keep the leaves crisp and fresh, if by chance the leaves were somewhat wilting to begin with, the salt and water combination will perk them right up! Rinse off the salt and put the leaves through the spinner before serving.

I know, sounds simple - but it's really made a difference to my salads!


Fun Question: What was your most recent dream that you can remember?
I actually remember my dreams quite vividly. Lately all I dream/have nightmares about is my writing -- can you tell that I'm stressed about it? My dreams are heavily influenced by what has me preoccupied (i.e. my thesis) and what I read/see/hear just before going to sleep. As a crime TV junkie, my dreams are usually filled with many chase scenes ... and unfortunately, nightmares about murders! I don't usually sleep well or much ...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:17 AM

    Hope you feel better soon! Thanks for the great advice on salad greens. I hate how quickly they wilt too.

    Best of luck with your thesis. Writing mine was definitely a scary process, but I do look back on it fondly now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are feeling better, I am the worst patient ever! You know when I'm ill because I will moaaaaaaaaaaaaaan lol.

    Well done on the weight loss too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're on the mend! I hope the upcoming week is better and make sure you have something fabulous to report next week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It totally sucks when you're ill but it sounds like you've still done pretty well food wise considering!

    Also I have similar dreams after watching various crime investigation tv shows just before bed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that salad tip! The lettuce wilting so fast is the main reason I don't eat more salad. Will definitely try the salt trick :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)