Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Getting Faster

The last few days have been crazy busy. With all the holiday events it has been quite difficult to maintain a regular exercise routine ... plus I've had a ton of end-of-term marking and final exam prep to do ... on top of my PhD work, of course.

Still, as things are winding down and we're approaching the end of the semester, I am super-excited but also nervous about being able to get everything done on time.

In any case, after class today I headed to the gym to get in another cardio session. I really do need to make the effort to go in more regularly.

Here's my progress:

Date

Time

Distance

Av. speed

Calories

Maximum

Dec. 11

35 min

2.52 km

4.3 km/hr

153

4 min @ 4.8 km/hr

Dec. 15

45 min

3.47 km

4.7 km/hr

164

15 min @ 5 km/hr

Dec. 17

45 min

3.64 km

4.9 km/hr

170

25 min @ 5 & 6 min @ 5.3

Dec. 20

45 min

3.84 km

5.1 km/hr

176

5 min (2.5 min x 2) @ 5.5

Dec. 28

1 hour

5.43 km

5.4 km/hr

308

20 min (5 min x 4) @ 5.7 km/hr



As I headed to the gym I decided to walk for an hour - no matter what the pace. I am really, really happy that I was able to complete the hour without much difficulty. I walked at 5.5 km/hr for 30 minutes (not continuous, in 5-minute intervals) and was able to walk at 5.7 km/hr as well for a total of 20 minutes. That's definitely better than I had expected. I do feel like my cardio is improving. I can't wait until I can work in some sprints -- but I think it'll still be a few weeks before I can do that ... in the meantime, I'll keep pushing as hard as I can.

5 comments:

  1. You are definitely getting back into the swing of things, great job on the hour long walk, and the increased speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing really well! I love seeing people progress. Keep it up! :D

    I hope you had a great Christmas. All the best for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a stellar job balancing your life, and your body is continuing to heal and get stronger. Your consistency is paying off! :-). All I want to say is keep up the great work, and keep listening to your body, it will let you know when it's ready for sprints. Just please don't let the mind hurry you into a routine that the body isn't ready for, as you WILL be sprinting again, just a matter of when. Keep up the amazing work, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're doing great! It's great that you can see your progress with your little chart. Hope you're feeling more yourself and the stamina is coming along. It does take awhile, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kris, Tim, Ryan, and Kim!!!

    Your words of encouragement mean a lot to me! With each improvement I feel my muscles and my motivation getting stronger :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)