Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Starting to Run -- Very Slowly!

Yesterday's post about The Happiness Project took quite some time so I didn't post about my workout.

I went to the gym early in the morning yesterday. I wasn't sure if I should have gone so soon after my almost 6 km walk just 13 hours prior ... but I needed to get the workout in because I had a busy day ahead. I managed to complete Workout B of NROL4W ... it was tiring, but it is going well. I really am enjoying this program. I was able to increase a few more of my weights (as well as shave off a few more seconds of my warm-up km -- I would love to be able to run that km ... I'll get there at some point ... it's still just walking for now).

Today I managed to hit the gym again ... I wasn't sure how quickly I'd be able to go to the gym 4 days in a row, but apparently, I am ready! I definitely feel my energy rising, and I think as I am getting closer and closer to submitting my PhD thesis, the adrenaline is really pumping and getting me to work faster. The sooner I submit, the more time I can spend on the gym - as well as on all the other errands that seem to have been completely ignored over the past 6 months!

Although my overall energy is improving, I do have to admit that I was tired today. I haven't been sleeping well - in fact, only 3-4 hours for the past 5 nights. It's finally starting to catch up with me ... it's the stress of everything that's keeping me up. I just can't seem to relax or stay asleep for long! The fatigue from insomnia really makes working out difficult. My goal today was just to walk -- I felt kind of trapped by my own overall fitness goal of improving with every workout. I think I had set the bar quite high for myself with Sunday's walk ... I wasn't sure I'd be able to walk as fast or as long today. In the end, however, I did -- I managed to complete the full hour -- and even threw in 5 1-minute jog/sprints at 6.7 km (very happy about that) and a final 30-second sprint at 7 km/hr. I know it's not much, but I was really happy that I at least got started. Overall I did the best I could and managed to improve a little bit. I think I could have jogged more, but I didn't want to risk overdoing it so soon. My legs are already quite sore (lunges/squats never help)!!

Cardio chart:

Date

Time

Distance

Av. speed

Calories

Maximum

Jan. 1

1 hour

5.9 km

5.9 km/hr

340

15 min @ 6.2 km/hr

Jan. 3

1 hour

6 km

6 km/hr

360

5 min @ 6.7 km/hr



Tomorrow will be a rest day for me. I don't have to go into work so I plan on sitting at my desk the whole day and getting a big chunk of editing done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)