Thursday, February 9, 2012

NROL4W - Phase 2 Progress

Had a rough night -- bad cramps (got my period early, again! This is not a good sign) woke me up at around 2:15 a.m. -- couldn't get back to sleep so I got out of bed at 3 and have been up ever since.

Though I was hurting I kept reminding myself that several studies have shown that no matter how uncomfortable or even painful period cramps may be, movement helps ... so at 7:30 a.m. I went to the gym and successfully completed 45 minutes on the cross-trainer followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill.

I felt tired but better for having done some exercise ... though by the afternoon my cramps were so bad that they brought tears to my eyes. I tried to lie down but it actually made it worse - ironically the only position I was comfortable in was standing (even sitting was uncomfortable). It was all getting me a bit down so guess what I did in the evening? That's right - Zumba!! I'm already an addict. All that shaking and jumping around wasn't easy, but I pushed through -- it was totally worth the pangs of pain :)

So, definitely a good job on the workout front for me today with a total of 2.5 hrs of cardio. I'm still trying to figure out my weights schedule ...

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Stage 2 of NROL4W was tough for me. Here were my issues:

1. I was recovering from major surgery, so I had to take it easy with lifting (as per my doctor's instructions)
2. The slow, halting start with weights (and cardio) meant I never really got into the groove with the routine, so each time I completed a session it was more out of obligation (to myself) rather than actual enjoyment, so that sucked
3. I focused on my writing, so I didn't have as much time at the gym as I would have liked, and my equipment at home was also limited
4. I didn't really enjoy the exercises that much -- I had trouble figuring out the differences between a lunge with the rear foot elevated, a Bulgarian split squat, and a reverse lunge from the box ... I really wish I had more than a book to help me get through some of these exercises ... but I tried.
5. As a result of my slow progression through this stage, I didn't feel the increase in strength and stamina as I did after Stage 1 (which I absolutely loved). I'm looking forward to feeling that burn and seeing that muscle tone again ...
6. Since I was slowly building up my cardio endurance, I didn't do any of the suggested interval training, so I definitely feel like I lagged on the cardio aspect of the program

After some contemplation I've decided not to redo Stage 2 but to move straight on to Stage 3. I should have a steady routine for the next few months so hopefully I'll be able to really get into the swing of things and see some progress.

In the meantime, here's my progress for Stage 2 of NROL4W:

Exercise

Pre-Surgery

Post-Surgery

Final

Front squat, push press

15 kg

10 kg

20 kg

Step up

8 kg

3 kg/hand (1 step)

8 kg/hand (4 steps)

Dumbbell 1-point row

7 kg

3 kg/hand

8 kg/hand

Lunge, elevate rear foot

10 kg

10 kg

20 kg

Push ups (body weight)

2x10 normal

2x10 on wall

2x10 normal

Plank (60 sec)

2x10 normal

2x30 sec on knees

2x10 normal

Cable horizontal wood chop

13 kg

5 kg

13 kg

Dead lifts from box

30 kg

15 kg

30 kg

Bulgarian split squat

10 kg

6 kg/hand

8 kg/hand

Underhand lateral pull

41 kg

30 kg

41 kg

Reverse lunge from box w/reach

5 kg

5 kg/hand

8 kg/hand

Dumbbell prone snatch

5 kg

6 kg/hand

8 kg/hand

Swill ball crunch

25

20

30

Reverse crunch

15

X

30

Lateral flexion

15/leg

12/leg rep

30/leg

Prone cobra

10 rep

10 rep

30


Not the most impressive numbers. I'm just happy that aside from the split squat I am back to my pre-surgery strength. Sure I would have loved to have seen more improvement ... but I am sure I will see it in the days to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)