Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fringe Benefits

I have to admit that it was a bit of a struggle to get to the gym this morning. I had a late night last night and didn't get enough sleep. I'm I'm going to workout twice a day I really do need to make more of an effort to get at least 5 hours of sleep - of course ideally 7 or 8, but let's be realistic. I am a chronic insomniac!

Still, I made it in to the gym. Did 30 minutes on the cross-trainer and then decided to do weights for just my legs.

Ever since I started on the NROL4W program I have pretty much left all other weight training exercises/classes. I have indulged in the occasional Body Pump class, but I've mainly stuck to the program.

However, I really felt like I needed to do something to work on my quads, especially given my muscle pain.

I spent about 45 minutes doing different exercises - leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, adductor, abductor, etc. etc. It was really good. The pain is not completely gone, but every time I stretch it definitely feels better.

Later in the afternoon I went back to the gym - did another 30 minutes on the cross-trainer. Unfortunately there was no Zumba class tonight (the instructor is still unwell) so I decided to do RPM instead. Again, it's been quite a while ... but it was a killer/amazing class. I worked up a mega sweat - you could literally wring the sweat out of my clothes after I was done. It felt awesome! :)

Tomorrow will be my last day of NROL4W Stage 4 -- again, I'm very happy with the slow and steady approach to lifting weights that is offered by this program. I'm sure part of the reason RPM class went well is because my legs are stronger from the weights/resistance training. It's so great to see the benefits in other areas of my life besides just muscle growth. Feeling stronger means I can do things with more energy and enthusiasm, which gives me an overall feeling of satisfaction.

I just gotta keep these fringe benefits in mind whenever I get to a point when I feel like I don't want to go to the gym or that I'm feeling tired. It's all about the bigger picture, and it's definitely about living a happier and healthier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)