Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Triple Play

I still haven't figured out my sleep patterns yet. I know a lot of people who say that they can't function on less than 8 hours of sleep. Honestly, I can't imagine getting 8 hours of sleep on a daily basis - a DAILY basis! I've pretty much been good with 4-5 hours, though now I'm realizing that 6 is probably ideal for me. I do go through some periods when I am utterly exhausted and sleep for hours on end, but those occasions are rare. In any case, my point is - I went to be early yesterday, hoping to get 8-9 hours of sleep. After 6 hours I was already awake. I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't. Even though it was only 4:30 a.m., I got up. It's usually distracting thoughts that keep me awake -- and this morning my thoughts were about my workouts for the day.

Earlier this week I made a list of the workouts that I wanted to accomplish for the week. I didn't schedule them for any set days because I knew my week was going to be quite hectic. However, I did know that I'd have to do some planning in order to get them all done. Taking yesterday off from the gym and rushing through my workout on Sunday left me feeling a bit anxious - will I be able to complete everything?

It's those thoughts that kept me from falling back asleep. I was to have breakfast with a friend at 9, so that meant that I'd need to be at the gym early if I wanted to complete both a weight training workout plus cardio.

I was at the gym by 6:15 this morning. I had a lot I wanted to get through.

Workout 1: Weights
I am very happy and proud to say that today I finished the last workout of the New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W). I'll write a separate post about the program itself. All I'll say for now is that it was a 7 stage program that I started in July last year. Today marked the final workout, and I am super, super proud of myself for starting something and actually finishing it! Now I need to figure out what kind of weight training I'll do next!

Workout 2: Cardio
This morning I also did Day 2 of Week 1 in C25K. I just really want to finish the first week of the program before Saturday, so I've got to figure out when I'll squeeze in that final day. I'm updating my C25K stats here.

Workout 3: CrossFit
Yes. I was 3/3 today. My goal was to complete 2 CrossFit sessions this week. I knew I had to go to today's session because the chance of me making it to tomorrow's session is slim. Pre-travel errands always get in the way. Today's session was really good. Our WOD was AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) in 15 minutes -- 10 deadlifts (40 kg/88 lbs.)), 10 box jumps, 10 plyo side to side push-ups, 10 hanging leg raises, and 20 ab crunches. I managed to complete 6 rounds.

I didn't feel too bad at all after the three workouts. I'm really pleased that I got them all in. Now I've just got one more session of C25K to do this week and I'll have hit my goals :)

1 comment:

  1. I used to get by nicely on 5-6 hours sleep tops. Now, with training ramped up a lot, I find 6 is no where near enough, and 7-8 is ideal - I just can't find enough hours to get that much sleep! Everyone is different though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)