Sunday, August 19, 2012

New Drive

Something has changed. I mean, I've been trying to lose weight and get healthy seriously for the past 3 years, but now something has really changed with my approach, mentality, and action.

D and I were discussing this change over lunch today. When he met me 6 years ago,  I was living in extremes. Extremely happy/extremely sad; completely calm/totally strung out; gorging on unhealthy food/having only a cucumber all day; worst of all, bingeing and purging.

I used to hate food. I was so anxious about eating that I would have a panic attack before eating, while eating, and after eating. I was miserable.

After pretty much hitting rock bottom, I started to change and included exercise in my routine. It was great, but I still hadn't changed the way I was eating, and I definitely still had a terrible relationship with food.

This is where the major change has happened.

The first main step was cleaning up my eating - no junk food. I don't remember the last time we pulled into a fast food joint. I think the worst thing that I eat (once every 2-3 months) is some pizza. Now I have 0 interest in those types of foods. There are still some things that I would have trouble controlling myself around - French fries are probably my biggest weakness accompanied by my hard to control sweet tooth. Still simply dropping fast food out of my diet was a huge help.

That's when I really started to taste food, noticing how fresh, good ingredients tasted so much better than those preservative-packed greasy foods. What a difference it has made to my eating.

I feel very fortunate that I rarely eat out as that seems to be the biggest downfall and struggle of a lot of people who are trying to lose weight. Not to sound boastful, but I just can't think of many restaurants that can deliver as fresh, clean food as good as what I can cook at home.

It takes time and effort though. No doubt about it, but that time commitment is so worth it.

Two days ago D and I ordered in some Arabic food - grilled chicken and fish plus some hummus and other small sides. We couldn't eat it. Even though it wasn't a fully unhealthy meal, the bit that we had eaten made us feel too full and uncomfortable. We threw it out -- that's what led to today's reflection - how much our eating habits have changed.

Now planning my menu, buying the groceries, and prepping/cooking are fun. I enjoy the process, enjoy the taste, and best of all enjoy how I feel.

What a great change.

I'm so excited to take this new enjoyment and learn how to cook better, cleaner, healthier food and really enjoy what I'm eating and how it makes me feel. 

5 comments:

  1. I heard two doctors saying this morning how addictive fast food is for people and how they crave it. We have made great strides there too. I do occasionally still get a mango pineapple smoothie at McDonald's when my daughter orders her meal but I don't even get their salads anymore since I got sick off of one. Good job on changing your eating habits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I know exactly what you mean about realizing how you stop craving junk food. And this ISSA Certiicate you're studying for will be great help and support for reaching your goals. I would be interested in getting some tips from you ;). When I get back I'm gonna start studying for my certificate which is for personal training under Personal Trainers Association. AND I'm super excited about the Whole Life Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the act of going out to eat and the socialization that it involves - but I agree with you that making food at home cannot be beat! My husband and I talk about it all of the time, too. It is amazing how much you palette changes once you have learned to eat healthy. Congrats on making such huge strides from 6 years ago! You have come a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi PlumPetals! Well, didn't you have all those health concerns too? Further, you were getting your doctorate degree--a little stress there. I think all that you went through is enough to give some extremes. I'm glad you're doing so great.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand what you are saying completely I just wish that I could come to that point. You are doing an incredible job! The mind is the hardest thing to change and you have done it. I am trying to get to that point where I can change my mind set. A few days ago I went to the grocery store with my family. When we were checking out I looked down at the shopping cart and it made me want to be sick. The entire basket was full of unhealthy terrible things that I knew we were about to put on our shelves. I didn’t want to look like a full and say STOP I don’t want ANY of this. I decided at that moment that this would be the last time our grocery cart would look so unhealthy! Congrats on your decision to throw the food out! That takes a big person to walk away!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)