Saturday, December 1, 2012

Fifty-Five Foods

Food, food, food.

Yes, it really all does come down to food.

For me, I know that unless I exercise AND eat right, I'm not going to lose weight. I know that there are some who can do one or the other or can practice some sort of moderation ... but that's not me.

I wrote about trial and error a few days ago and I think it's really important to sit down and figure out what works best for YOU. I have some friends who can eat whatever they want and not gain any weight. That's them, not me.

I think it's also important to realize that the TYPE of food matters. All calories are not created equal. A 100 calorie snickers bar is not processed in the same way by our body as 100 calories of broccoli.

These facts are obvious, but I think it's easy to get distracted by trying to find an easier way or a short-cut ... trying to make things more 'enjoyable' and making exceptions.

I know that for ME - it doesn't work that way. I'm not worried about going on a binge. I think I'm over that ... but I've realized that a little taste here and a small bite there can all add up, and the place it shows is on the scale (and my ass)!

So, my goal for today was to come up with a list of foods that I frequently eat.

Norma wrote a post a few days ago about her habits and how she eats the same things everyday (and is called crazy for it). However, like Norma, I've found that sticking to a routine is the best way to stay disciplined and constantly vigilant.

All of this takes time and organization - something that I've whined about a lot - but I also know that once it's done, it's DONE!

So, I sat down and made a list of fifty-five foods that I can easily prepare and eat without worrying. Why fifty-five? Well, I like the alliteration ;) plus that's more than enough to give me variety in my foods. The 55 encompasses breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack options. They're all reliable recipes that can be prepared without much difficulty.

I've also made a list of a few foods that are healthy but have a few ingredients that I don't want to make a regular part of my diet. For example, quinoa vegetable salad. I'm trying to stay away from grains but I think quinoa is fine to eat. At the same time, I don't want it as a regular part of my diet -- but once in a while (mainly for variety sake) I think it's ok for me to have it. Another thing on my 'on occasion' food chart is my spinach crustless quiche. This is really yummy and I wouldn't mind having it once a month/once every other month. These alternative foods aren't necessities -  just a few options so that I don't need to think too much about what to eat.

I've made the food plan - now I've got to stick to it. Let's see how it goes!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Plum Petals! This all sounds very intelligent. I was telling someone the other day about certain foods that really work for me, and she thought it would never work for her. So yes, she might have a very different list of foods. Taking the time to carefully think it out is worth it.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Plum (energy woman). I do not know what quinoa is. I don't believe I've ever eaten it. Broccoli is my favorite green vegetable. And I believe the 100 calorie snicker's are the little square ones called bite size with the gold wrappers. They aren't even the fun size, just bite size. Whereas 100 calories of broccoli would be about 3 and 1/3 cups of broccoli. Just a fun fact there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great attitude & great plan, mon ami!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)