Monday, December 3, 2012

Working on Technique: Snatches

I went to CrossFit today after a long time. I think it's been about 2 weeks! I've still been working out daily (well, almost) but I just haven't made it to a CrossFit session -- and boy did it feel good (and tough) to be back.

I worked on snatches today. It's definitely frustrating when I know that I can lift heavy but am restricted to a lower weight due to lack of technique. It's understandable though. I mean, what's the point of lifting heavy when my posture isn't just right yet? Still, with lots of practice it'll get better - it definitely got better by the end of class.

When you look at the lift (start at about 45 seconds in this video), it doesn't seem that complicated, but there are so many things to keep in mind - get your grip right, position your hands properly, keep your abs tight, keep your back and shoulders in the right position, pull inwards, get up on your toes, lift the bar up - but more than that, pull your body under --- OMG, when I hear all these bits and pieces it gets really overwhelming. Try hearing all those instructions and then doing it! Anyway.

I practiced and practiced - and I think it got better (was lifting 30 kg; around 65 lbs.) but I definitely need more practice.

The WOD today was 15 minutes AMRAP:
15 snatches followed by 15 burpees

I managed to finish 4 rounds.

By the end of the of the class, I was drenched in sweat. It felt amazing. The adrenaline after a CrossFit workout is indescribable.

I thing I'm struggling with most is the upward pull. I seem to be holding the bar too far from my body and lifting more with my shoulders instead of it being more of a smooth movement ... I guess I know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to visualize it in comparison to what I should be doing -- maybe I should video tape my lift next time so that I have something to compare.

Practice. Practice. Practice.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)