Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tap Out or Push Forward?

I woke up around 4 a.m. today to catch the preliminary fights before UFC 157 started at 6. I never thought that I would be so into MMA fighting and the UFC that I would wake up that early on my holiday (especially when I could have just recorded it and watched it at a more normal hour) ... but I wanted to catch it live.

There were some good fights on, some kinda boring ones, and then of course, the first women's UFC fight - Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche. (Summary of the fight can be found here.)



Rousey and Carmouche square off



Rousey after the win

I was rooting for Rousey. I definitely wish the fight had lasted longer than it did, but in the end, I'm glad she won. There was one point when I thought she was totally going to tap out. Her opponent was on her back, basically almost choking her with her legs wrapped around her face ... all I could think of was - Wow, you really need to dig deep and believe in yourself (or at least tap into some inner stubbornness and/or rage) and say No! I am not giving up. I will fight, and I will win. 



Ronda Rousey

That's what I admire most, not just about this fight, but about fighting in general. It's not just about physical strength, it's about mental strength too. Even when you're getting punched in the face, you've got to believe ... you've got to know that you can survive and push through. That's what I want to achieve.

I'm a bit behind on workout and food updates. Everything is going well. I'm on Day 9 of the Whole Life Challenge already ...

Friday's Workout
3.5 km walk + 15 minutes of stretching

Saturday's Workout
1 1/2 hours of cardio kickboxing + 15 minutes of stretching
60 burpees

Today's Workout
5 km walk/run intervals + 15 minutes of stretching
10 burpees

Click here for today's Whole Life Challenge VLOG & update :) -- My food updates for the past few days are listed in the corresponding days.

2 comments:

  1. It takes both physical and mental strength and I'm just amazed at how strong we can be! You are doing great with your exercise routines - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Diane - physical + mental strength are both important and they both need work to develop.
      Thanks :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)