Sunday, April 21, 2013

New Routine and Being Confident

For the first day of the week, I have to say today didn't go too badly!

I started my new weights workout this morning, featuring chest presses, rows, and shoulder presses - all of different variations. I kind of start off a bit timid when I start a new program. Even though I keep track of what weights I lift, I'm not always sure which weights to start with. Just because I can do a 50 kg (110 lb) chest press (my 1 rep max) doesn't mean that I should start with that weight. In any case, it took a bit of time to warm-up to the routine, but I think it should be fine.

Class went well. We're nearing the end of the semester (less than a month to summer vacation!!) and I think my students are doing quite well. They've got their final writing test next week, and while I'm happy with their progress, I do feel a bit nervous - have I taught them everything they need to know: when they say they understand, do they really understand or are they just saying it? In any case, these are university students; they do have to take responsibility for their work.

This semester in class I've been making a lot of analogies between their approach to studying & my approach to my workouts. Just like I need to approach the gym with a positive attitude, that's what they need to do as well with their assignments. I told them that sometimes I look at my plan, or I look at the amount of weight I want to lift, and I have to muster up a lot of courage and energy into finding that belief in myself that I can do it. That's exactly how I want them to approach their assessments. Even if they think it's tough, they have to take a deep breath and just go for it ... and believe that they have all the tools necessary to do well.

So far the analogy has been working well. They like hearing about my progress in my workouts, and of course I love seeing the progress in their work!

I had a lovely leisurely lunch with an old friend today. We ended up chatting for almost 3 1/2 hours! It was great to just sit, talk, laugh, and relax. We went out for sushi -- I think sushi is one of those tricky foods in terms of ordering healthy. Overall it seems like a healthy choice, but there are many ways to get it wrong - soy sauce is loaded with sodium (though I've found some restaurants do offer low sodium versions); the white rice in rolls can add up in terms of calories and carbs; the 'special sauce' that is in a lot of rolls and salads often has a lot of mayonnaise and sugar; and of course tempura is deep fried crispiness over what could be healthy piece of fish.

Anyway. Sashimi and mustard (instead of soy sauce) have become my new friends at sushi restaurants. Today's ordering was half on point and half on the naughtier side, which is when portion control definitely comes into play!

Right after lunch I headed to the gym. My intention this week is to try to get 4-5 hours of solid cardio in. Although I was going to RPM 3-4 times a week, I didn't feel like it was enough or that I was working out properly enough for it to be as effective as I wanted it to be. So my new cardio routine is going to involve going to the gym earlier (around 4 pm) and doing my cardio. This way I should be home by 6 p.m. (versus staying for RPM class, which would get me home closer to 8 p.m.) - this gives me a bit more time to work and get things done around the house, especially prep for the next day!

I had my new playlist for my cardio - and it felt great to just be me, the music, and my workout! The only challenge was trying not to dance while I was on the treadmill!

I'm pleased with my start to the week -- just gotta keep it up. Busy days ahead!



Loved this quote! 


Today's Food
Breakfast #1: 2 dates; 1 T peanut butter
Breakfast #2: tuna fish salad (just 1 can tuna fish, 1/2 bell pepper; 1/2 tomato; 1/2 avocado + balasamic vinegar & some olive oil + dash of salt and pepper)
Lunch: sushi
Dinner: grilled fish (hammour, a local fish) and a veggie mix - bell peppers, cauliflower, and sweet potato
Snack: 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (cherry); 1/2 oz' dark chocolate

Today's Exercise
Morning - Warm-up: 1 km jog + Weights (1 hour)
Afternoon - Cardio: 45 minutes cross-trainer; 20 minutes treadmill

1 comment:

  1. I Like your analogies! I'm going to use them to motivate me for MY finals :) p.s. Breakfast #2 sounds SO YUMMY!
    Dani!
    www.thatfitnesschic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)