Saturday, May 11, 2013

Simple Saturday

I found it really annoying that I was up at 5:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning. Seriously? Who wakes up that early on the weekend, especially when I had wanted to sleep in for a bit? Anyway. I got up and got started with my day. First things first, the menu for the week and the shopping list.


Then off to the grocery store. Today's shop was pretty simple; that's definitely one of the advantages of cooking/eating simple. Having a list and a plan helps -- all you have to do is stick to it and not get distracted by all the other stuff in the supermarket!

I was home before 10 am so I thought it would be the perfect time to beat the crowd and head to the mall to buy a much needed new bathing suit. The suit I bought was 6 sizes smaller than the one I wore last summer - can you believe it? I couldn't! That was definitely a good feeling.

I normally have 2 exercise classes on Saturdays - Yoga on the Beach and CrossFit, but both were cancelled. To be honest, I was kinda relieved. I just wanted to chill today. That doesn't mean I didn't exercise -- D & I did an hour of Jiujitsu practice; I did 100 burpees plus 80 squats as part of the 30 Day Squats Challenge.

I was invited to go see a Kajukenbo purple belt to blue belt test in the evening so I went. Wow. It was really, really, really intense. Talk about street fighting meets self-defense. It was really impressive, and it gave me a much better idea of what's involved in this martial art (basically what I might be getting myself into!)






My meals for the day:

Breakfast - the usual. 
I really didn't feel like eating yet the same thing today. However I didn't have anything else planned so I had to stick to this. I need to find a way to change things up a little for my weekend breakfasts. 


Lunch - chick peas. (recipe here)
This was really, really, really yummy - but the main drawback is that chick peas make me bloat and that gets really uncomfortable! 


Dinner - Arabic food
Grilled chicken, tabbuleh salad, 1 tablespoon of hummus, muttabel, and muhammara each


Today:
- Workouts:

  • BJJ practice at home (1 hour)
  • Burpees: 100 {total: 3,720/20,130}
  • Squats Day 7: 80
  • Stretching: 15 minutes

- Food:

  • Breakfast: date/peanut butter/banana/green tea (not photographed)
  • Lunch: chick peas
  • Dinner: shish tawook, tabbouleh, hummus, muttabel, and muhammara

- Other: Booked NYC hotel :)


4 comments:

  1. Hi Ayesha! The Kajukenbo night sounded fun. I'm always so sparked by people doing well with their fitness--like reading your blog! :D

    I'd love to try Arabic food. Mmmm...I wonder if there's a good restaurant for that in Milwaukee. Teen daughter is always up for the same types of flavors I like.

    I really like chick peas(!), but I tend to want to overeat all types of peas and beans. They are supposed to be filling, but you get some a small portion for 200 to 300 calories, versus other foods.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am up at 5:30 am on the weekends. I'm usually up by 4:30 or 5 am every day of the week. I do it without an alarm clock. I love routine.

    The new bathing suit in a smaller size is just amazing. Six sizes?! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you stop at one date? I cannot. Dates are like candy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know all about waking up around 5:30 on weekends. Brutal. It's also never going to not be fun.

    I'm amazed that your bathing suit is a whopping six sizes smaller than last year's. That is fantastic! You are really somethin'! GREAT WORK! I'm proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)