Saturday, June 1, 2013

Is It Working? (Part I)

Even though June 1st doesn't quite mark the halfway point of the year, it often feels like it is. It's the perfect time to really sit back and take a look at the past 5 months and evaluate how things are going -- has everything that I've been doing over the past few months been helping me towards achieving the goals I set on New Years?

After rereading my goals, I think I'm doing alright, but I know I could be doing a lot better.

Adopting the attitude of 'just do it' instead of obsessing over plans and making sure that I'm working in 'perfect' conditions has really, really helped. At the same time, lack of proper structure (especially now that I'm on summer vacation) has left me feeling a bit lost and a bit anxious.

I need structure. Without having to go to work, I need to establish my own structure and routine. I may not have lessons to plan or papers to grade, but I still have a lot of work that needs to be done.

My summer travel plans are also leaving me a bit nervous. Last week's impromptu trip to London was great (even though we lost the play-off final, ouch!), but it really messed up my routine in terms of exercise, food, and sleep - the 3 key components to making sure I reach my goals.

After getting back, I just felt tired and drained. I didn't want to do anything. Part of my issue is that I'll be traveling again in 5 days. It feels like that's not enough time to set up a proper routine ... but I know that's just an excuse. I've just got to get the work done. The only way to beat my frustration is to work as hard as I can so that I at least help myself move forward, even if it is a millimeter at a time.







4 comments:

  1. Hi Ayesha! I honestly think you are more rough on yourself than the facts would justify. You exercise a LOT more than I do.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marion -- I'm just frustrated because I keep losing/gaining the same few pounds. I need to break through this cycle!

      Delete
  2. "Just Do It" is one mantra I live by when I'm doing my best. I too need structure. Without structure, I am a big mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... I'm glad I'm 'just doing it' but sometimes it feels like I'm just going through the motions. I gotta push harder!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)