Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Scheduling

While I'm not necessarily looking forward to getting back to creating lessons plans and grading papers, I am definitely ready to get back into some sort of routine. I really, really seem to flounder without any set structure. I'm good at sticking to my schedule once I have an anchor (like my class schedule, which I can't miss). Otherwise, I have a tendency to let things slide, especially if I have nothing for which I really need to leave the house. Anyway. Just a few more days of summer vacation left, and then I'll be back to work.

So this week has been quite busy with my Kajukenbo seminar. Three Kajukenbo experts (Senior Grand Master Al Dacascos, Grand Master Janice Somera, and Grand Master Robert New) have been flown in from Hawaii to lead the seminar. We're meeting every night this week from 4-8, which is a huge time commitment (basically 3-9 p.m. including driving time). However, it's been really informative and interesting so far. We've learned about some of the history of Kajukenbo as well as the principles behind the fighting techniques. We've learned a number of those fighting techniques along with self-defense moves. I'll have more to say about all that in another post.

Since I've been busy each evening with the seminar, I've been skipping my morning workouts, mainly because for whatever training we do during the seminar, I want to be sure that I can give 100%. I know that hitting weights and doing endurance cardio will probably leave me exhausted. This is too special of an opportunity to blow by being fatigued! So, once again, I've had to adjust my schedule.

I'm really interested to see how things fall into place once I'm back into work. I'm going to stick with setting some general guidelines (e.g. 7 hours of cardio a week, 3 lifting sessions each week, 5 MMA sessions each week, etc.). I'm going to try to keep it as realistic as possible. I mean, no sense in setting yourself up for failure, right? It's going to be hard deciding how much to do and when -- I don't think I'll be able to fit everything into my day. Not unless someone follows through with one of my birthday wishes to have an extra 3 hours added on to my day!

How do you manage to fit everything in? Do you find that inevitably you need to leave something out?

I'll leave you with a few pix from the Kajukenbo seminar plus a video of one portion of the Kajukenbo black belt test that took place on Saturday. Talk about intense!!


The Kajukenbo Ohana Kuwait Women's Team



Grand Master Janice Somera and I



One part of the test was to defend yourself from attackers - the SGM was calling out the defense strategies, and the candidate had to perform them against his attackers. I can't imagine remembering all the sequences plus performing them that effectively with such speed ... I see a lot of hours of practice ahead of me!

3 comments:

  1. I also need some semblance of a schedule to stay on track. I was thinking a few days ago that I seemed to accomplish more when I had a regular job than I do now without one. Kind of thought provoking. I enjoy very much seeing your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Efficient scheduling and knowing when to go from a to b to c has worked for me.

    The martial arts has played a large role in my life! I am very grateful for the teachers and friends I have had with doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this shows I know nothing about teaching. I just figured you used the same lesson plan from year to year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)